Please note, this page was created in June of 2017 to post traffic alerts and project updates for the Cunningham Bridge project. Each alert will be dated, with the most recent updates being listed on the top.
September 21, 2018 - Bridge “Soft Opening” at 5PM
May 25, 2018 - DANGER - ALERT - Cunningham Bridge is an active work zone. While you may be curious, please DO NOT enter this area. There is fencing in place to keep you safe from the hidden hazards that could potentially cause serious and/or life threatening injuries. If you are caught on this site, you will be fined for trespassing!
May 4, 2018
February 20, 2018
February 2, 2018
North Abutment Tremie anchor drilling activity
Laborers grouting the South Abutment granite facing panels under heated enclosure.
Icy conditions of the North Abutment cofferdam, nearing completion of excavation operations.
Stockpiles of excavated spoils from the North Abutment cofferdam, awaiting trucking for disposal.
December 22, 2017
· The project is proceeding with typical challenges in the field as expected. The South side abutment is at about 60% complete and the North side is at about 40% complete.
· Retaining walls are being poured on the south side of the bridge.
o Progress has been made on 9 sections of the wing walls.
· Concrete is being heated on site in cold weather and takes about 7 days to cure. High performance concrete is being utilized for this job.
· The new wing wall panels are being pre-fabricated and delivery is expected in about 3 weeks.
· Once the wing walls are placed, the precast backing will be installed.
· The granite facing for the south abutment panels is in fabrication and will be installed soon.
November 3, 2017
September 29, 2017
Some highlights including a photo regarding the Cunningham Bridge Project:
September 25, 2017 - Cunningham Bridge Design Options:
The rendering below is the original design of the Cunningham Bridge with concrete as originally proposed by Mass DOT:
The two renderings below show the new option as proposed by Mass DOT that adds a fishing and viewing location:
Cunningham Bridge (Atlantic Avenue) Project Updates
August 31, 2017- The bridge demolition is on schedule for Tuesday September 5, 2017. Work will begin at 7:00am-5:30pm daily.
August 18, 2017- Water pipe bypass complete. Pressure testing and disinfection will continue into next week. Sandbags will be put in place for the coffer dam work next week. Bridge shut down is on-schedule for September 5, 2018 for demolition. Please note there will be no vehicular or pedestrian traffic through this area during bridge closure.
August 11, 2017 - The temporary water main bypass work will continue into next week. The Town has also hired a liaison to enhance communications and oversight on this important project.
August 4, 2017 - The gas main being tied in is now complete. The water main change over will occur in the next week.
July 28, 2017 - Gas connections and waterline work is ongoing on the site. Shielding under the bridge is 100% complete. Shielding on the east and west side of the bridge continues.
July 17, 2017 -To see the install of the utility bridge, please click here.
The Massachusetts Department of Transportation Highway Division District 5 has announced that Atlantic Avenue over Little Harbor Inlet in Cohasset will be temporarily closed to vehicular traffic for one night on Tuesday, July 11. This portion of roadway will be closed from 8:00 p.m. on July 11 to 5:00 a.m. on July 12. The closure is necessary to allow for installation of the temporary utility bridge.
The detour routes are as follows:
From the west side of Atlantic Avenue over Little Harbor Inlet:
· Follow Atlantic Avenue to Nichols Road· Left on Nichols Road and follow to Jerusalem Road
· Left on Jerusalem Road and follow to North Main Street · Left on North Main Street and follow to Beach Street · Left on Beach Street
From the east side of Atlantic Avenue over Little Harbor Inlet:
· Follow Beach Street to North Main Street · Right on to North Main Street and follow to Jerusalem Road
· Right on to Jerusalem Road and follow to Nichols Road · Right on to Nichols Road and follow to Atlantic Avenue · Right on to Atlantic Avenue
MassDOT advises motorists to seek alternate routes during these times.
All scheduled work is weather dependent and/or may be impacted should any sort of emergency situation occur.